Ingredients – Pie
- Dough 1 9-inch pie crust
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup all purpose flour
Ingredients – Filling
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- zest of half a lemon
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Extra sugar for sprinkling
- With a mixer, cream butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy.
- Add in flour and mix just until dough comes together.
- Place dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Place parchment paper on a pan and set aside.
- On a floured or powdered sugared surface, knead the dough a couple of times until it is a nice round ball. Then, roll dough into a circle with a rolling pin, about 1/4″ thick.
- Using a 3″ biscuit cutter, cut out as many dough rounds as possible (about 5-6). Place dough rounds on sheet pan.
- Form the dough back into a ball, and roll out again. Cut out 5-6 more rounds. The recipe should yield 12 dough rounds, so keep repeating this step until you have 12 rounds (because of the cream cheese in the dough, it will not get tough or overworked like traditional pie dough).
- In a small bowl, gently combine chopped strawberries, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest, and cornstarch.
- Fill each pie round with 1-2 Tbsp of filling.
- Take one side of the dough and pull it over the filling. Use a fork to crimp the edges together and poke an air hole at the top of the pie. Do for all pies.
- Brush each pie with egg wash. Sprinkle with white sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pie is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, ice cream, or whipped cream.