- Rinse the strawberries under cold water, then spread them on a clean kitchen towel and gently rub them dry.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and shortening, stirring occasionally until smooth. Holding them by the toothpicks, dip the strawberries into the chocolate mixture.
- Insert toothpicks into the tops of the strawberries.
- Turn the strawberries upside down and insert the toothpick into styrofoam for the chocolate to cool.
- Sprinkle with colored sugar or drizzle with melted white chocolate to add a special touch (optional).